Tuesday, February 24, 2015

...But I Don't Have Time!

By: Kandice Thorn

I know I have to draft my resume.

I know that networking is important.

I know that I should do some research into the job market.

I know all of this, but I don't have time!

Tackling the job search can seem like a tremendous project.  This post is about helping you see that you can advance your job search with just little pockets of time here and there - that you DO have time if you take it little by little.


In five minutes you can...

  • email an old friend or colleague just to say hi - maintaining existing relationships is an important part of networking
  • do a Google search for any professional organizations in your area of expertise and see if they have any upcoming events that may be of interest
  • perfect your resume heading
  • research one of your favorite firms/companies online to check out their hiring processes


    In an hour you can...


    • download a mini-guide from law.fordham.edu/gpdpresources and start reading
    • attend a lecture/presentation/event at the law school
    • draft a section of your resume (Education, Experience, etc.)
    • reach out to three people to ask for an informational interview
    • proofread your resume
    • do a mock interview
    In three hours you can...
    • read an entire mini-guide (law.fordham.edu/gpdpresources)
    • attend an event at the New York City Bar or another off-campus venue
    • meet an old friend or colleague for coffee
    • create a first draft of your resume
    • shop for an interview appropriate suit

    No comments:

    Post a Comment