Monday, April 30, 2012

Cover Letters: Be Concise

By: Kandice Thorn

I said in a previous post that one common mistake I see in cover letters is that they are too long. This is actually the most common mistake I see in cover letters, so common that I thought the topic deserved its own blog post. First, I am going to describe what a concise cover letter should look like, then, because I like lists, I am going to give you the top five reasons you should keep your cover letters short and sweet.


Your "concise" cover letter should have no more than three paragraphs, as follows:*

*Because stating paragraph limits or page limits often results in a variety of interpretations, I think a word limit can be a bit more instructive. I would recommend a maximum of about 215 words (not including the addresses/salutations). 
  • Introduce yourself and state your purpose for writing. Example: I am an experienced Italian lawyer currently pursuing a Master of Laws in Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law at Fordham Law School with an expected graduation date of May 2012. I am writing in response to your posting for a temporary foreign associate position in your New York office.
  • Explain why you would be a good fit for the position. This is the most important part of the letter, and this is where you will really demonstrate your skill. Keep it focused; don't try to recite your resume. Remember to emphasize what you will bring to them, rather than what they can do for you. What is the one thing an employer should know about you? Why does it demonstrate that you are a good fit for the position?
  • Express your interest in the position and tell them how they can contact you.  Example: Enclosed please find a copy of my resume for your review. Please feel free to contact me if you would like any additional materials. I am available at your convenience for an interview. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Top Five Reasons to Keep Your Cover Letters Short and Sweet
  1. The art of packing a lot of information into a condensed space is a very lawyerly skill. A concise cover letter will show off that ability.
  2. No hiring partner or recruiting person has the patience or the time to read a long cover letter.
  3. Long letters = more opportunities for errors or typos.
  4. Each accomplishment you include is less impressive than the last one. Stop while you're ahead.
  5. Long cover letters are a lot of work. Why do that to yourself?

1 comment: