Tuesday, October 13, 2015

After the Interview: The Importance of Following Up

By: Kandice Thorn

Many students are starting to have interviews for spring externships, and I have found that while students are typically able to prepare well for the interview, they are often caught off guard by what happens next.  But following up is crucial following an interview.  It lets the employer know you are very interested in the position and shows that you are engaged and proactive, while also putting you at the front of their minds again.


The first "follow up" should always be a thank you note.  If you have remembered to ask for business cards from everyone with whom you interviewed, it should be easy to send them a quick email.  This should come the same day as the interview.  Keep a professional tone, thank the interviewer for his/her time, and express your continued interest in the position.  Genuine enthusiasm will go a long way here!

Here is an example:

Dear Ms. Jones,

Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me today.  I enjoyed our discussion of [...].  Our conversation made me even more enthusiastic about the prospect of working for [...].  Please let me know if I can provide any additional information in furtherance of my candidacy for this position.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Jane

During your interview, you should have asked when is an appropriate time to check back with them.  If you have done this, you'll have the timing for your next follow up.  If not, 7-10 days is generally a good time frame.  You should email your primary contact (not everyone you interviewed with) and reiterate your interest in the position.

The email will say something like this:

Dear Ms. Jones,

I am writing to follow up regarding my interview on [date] for the Associate Attorney position in your office.  I remain very interested in the position.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need any additional information from me.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Jane

After the second follow up, it is appropriate to follow up one or two more times, depending on the situation.  Use your judgement based on the timing of their process.  If they seem to be moving slowly, it may be appropriate to wait and follow up after a couple of weeks, then follow up again if necessary.  If they are moving quickly, another email a week later may be warranted.

The most important thing is that you not neglect this important part of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment